- WallSteetBets, which preaches their short squeeze investment strategy, has become the most popular group on Reddit by active users.
- FTX has launched a composite index for betting on assets discussed on /r/WallStreetBets.
- Currently, the index is composed of four tokenized stocks and two cryptocurrency in Dogecoin and FTX token.
Share this article
FTX derivatives exchange has launched a composite index for trading in stocks and assets discussed on the famous Reddit group WallStreetBets (WSB).
FTX Adds WSB Index for WallStreetBets
FTX exchange has launched the Wall Street Bets index (WSB-0326) which allows users to trade assets that are popular on the Reddit group. The index tracks March 2021 futures prices of the respective stocks on German brokerage, CM-Equity.
The index assets currently include Nokia, BlackBerry, AMC Entertainment Holdings, GameStop, iShares Silver Trust, and Dogecoin. Assets are equally weighed, accounting for 99% of the index’s value. The rest 1% is assigned to FTX’s native cryptocurrency FTT.
The index starting trading at $320 last night and gained 118% to a peak of $700, last trading at $622.
FTX Tokenizing Spree
Lately, FTX has been on a stock market tokenizing spree. The exchange has issued tokenized versions of Tesla, Google, Alibaba, Pfizer and many others. FTX appears to be on a mission to tokenize all assets gaining popularity on the internet. The exchange has even attempted to tokenize future events by facilitating betting on the U.S. election and this year’s Superbowl results.
In the last three days, the exchange has launched GameStop (GME), BlackBerry (BB) and Nokia (NOK), iShares Silver Trust (SLV) and AMC Entertainment Holding (AME).
These five assets recently became popular on WallStreetBet group, following their strategy to “short-squeeze” low liquidity stocks. Many investors are choosing to spot-hold the most shorted stocks in the hope that others will follow as well.
WallStreetBets has quickly become the most active subreddit on the news aggregation and discussion website. At the time of writing, it had 1.1 million active users out of a total of 6 million. By comparison, the number of users on other top groups like /r/AskReddit was 71,000 active users out of 31 million. Active users on /r/Pics came to 40,000 out of 29 million.
The WSB group’s astonishing success has the investors monitoring the group carefully, and FTX has designed what may prove to be a very popular solution indeed.
Disclosure: The author held Bitcoin at the time of press.
GameStop’s Short Squeeze Is Far More Than Just Retail Noise
Mainstream media has written off GameStop’s (GME) short-squeeze as a win for small guys against Wall Street. Nevertheless, the incident hints at an underlying macro shift in global economics in…
Robinhood Bans DOGE Trading After WallStreetBets Reddit Community Eyes…
The crypto market has stirred at the news that the Reddit WallStreetBets community behind the GameStop stock pump has set its sights on Dogecoin (DOGE). The popular trading app Robinhood…
Looking Back on 2020 and 2021 Predictions
Happy New Year from all of us at Crypto.com Research! 2020 was an unprecedented year for the world and for crypto. Before we fully plunge into 2021 predictions, we will…